Coloring the Hexa-hexaflexagon
Start with a strip of paper about 20" by 1½" and fold it using the triangle pattern. Cut off the ends leaving 19 triangles. Color the triangles using any 6 colors in the pattern shown below. All triangles with the same number must be the same color. (Don't write the numbers in the triangles; they are only for reference when coloring and folding.)
Folding the Hexa-hexaflexagon
Fold and glue the hexa-hexaflexagon as described and shown below.
- Place the strip so that it slants upward and to the right with the side with colors 1, 2, and 3 face up. Fold the long strip back at A (it now points down), and then up at B.
- Repeat the previous step with the long strip pointing upwards.
- Continue to repeat the previous folds until it is a single strip with a spiral-like fold from end-to-end.
- Fold back the right part of the strip as shown in the figure.
- Fold back the bottom of the strip as shown in the figure.
- Tuck the single triangle underneath the strip that was folded back in step 5.
- Fold back the triangle protruding and glue to the back of the triangle tucked underneath in step 6.
Once it is assembled, try flexing the hexa-hexafleagon to show all six faces!